Sunday, August 14, 2022

Looking at a Gaming Laptop

Been looking through ads on FB Marketplace and I’m seeing plenty of gaming laptops available for $500.00 which I’ve set as my ceiling that I’m willing to pay. There’s a lot of good laptops that fit the bill for what I need without having to break the bank to buy it.

What I need is a dedicated graphics card, at least 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD along with at minimum a 1TB HDD; 2TB would be better but well, can’t be too choosy and if I have the extra slot, I can always upgrade later but the SSD is a must for quicker boot times.

.

The two main games, I’ll be playing on this machine are Sims 3 and SWTOR - this is the machine that’s going to be my portable gaming PC. Then eventually down the road, I will get a gaming desktop which will be my main at-home machine which will run the other games that I use, such as FSX, DCS World, Two Point Hospital, Cities:Skylines, Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront 2. And that will have a 1TB SSD and a 4GB HDD drive.

On top of that, the computer will have second 4GB HDD exclusively for my photography, so that I can have my photography easily accessible.

With games taking up more space on the hard drive and competing with the OS and other applications, I want to streamline my games as much as possible so that I’m not constantly using the SSD. The way I want my SSD C-drive to work is essentially to boot the application while I do all my work on D-drive (reading and writing my workflow on D: ) instead of putting extra read/write workload onto the SSD which would shorten the SSD’s life.

This is going to entail a lot of reading up so I don’t cark up the file system on the computer. But looking forward to playing Sims 3 and SWTOR is going to be worth it.

Update September 14, 2022: something MAY be happening tomorrow


No comments:

Post a Comment